I'm back after a long summer blogging hiatus and FRITTERS are what's on the menu this week! I made a batch with some leftover zucchini that desperately needed to be used and my husband and I finished it off before we could even blink.
Now, if only we could figure out how to grow some in our garden [of death] we could have fritters all the time!
Here's what you'll need...
- 6 cups shredded zucchini (I found each large zucchini is about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (depending on how much spice you like - I used two and it had some heat to it)
- 1 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Cheese cloth bag
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (optional)
- Shred the zucchini using a grater or a food processor if you have the shredding attachment.
- Place in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Mix well & let it sit for about 15 minutes. This will help pull some of the water from the zucchini - skipping this step will make your fritters soggy and nobody likes a soggy fritter!!
- Place the zucchini in a cheese cloth bag and squeeeeeeeze out the water as much as you can! I promise this is the most annoying step!
- Toss back into a bowl and mix in with all of the other ingredients. **One thing to note, depending on how well you did with extracting the moisture from the zucchini, you might need to adjust the flour and bread crumbs. If the mixture is too wet, sprinkle in a bit more.
- Heat up your oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Use a 1/2 measuring cup to scoop the mixture, pack it down in the cup & dump it out on the pan (don't burn your fingers!) Flatten it out like a patty with the bottom of the cup and a spatula.
- Cook on each side for about 5 minutes until crispy golden brown.
Serve with your favorite sauce (vegan alfredo is one of my faves!) and enjoy!