Over the last few weeks I've definitely gotten in the habit of knocking out my meal prep on Sundays which is a good thing...BUT I like to keep it simple! I decided that the best way to maximize my time is to meal prep as much as possible with the crockpot. You may call it lazy...I may call it efficient ;)
The other lesson that i've learned with meal prepping is find recipes that are super versatile so you can use them over and over again. When I made this crockpot garlic lemon chicken recipe last weekend I knew I had hit the nail on the head because since, i've made several different things with it....stir fry, mexican bowl, breakfast bowl... you name it!
SUPER simple and incredibly delicious and (totally using this awful word...) MOIST, which can be hard to do with chicken in a crockpot.
Here's how to pull it together...
- 2lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup water or stock of choice
- 2 heaping TBS minced garlic
- 1 TBS lemon zest
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 TBS oregano
- 1 onion, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- Layer the onion rounds in the bottom of the crockpot
- Place chicken breasts on top of the onions
- Combine juice, zest, oregano, garlic & water in a bowl & pour over top of chicken
- Salt and pepper top of chicken liberally
- Turn crockpot on low & cook for about 6 hours
- When fully cooked, shred the chicken IN the crockpot, juices & all, and mix together. I debated pouring out the juice because it seemed like a lot of liquid but it kept everything so moist once shredded!
Serve alone or use in a another great recipe! I made a mexican bowl with chicken, rice, black beans, avocado, lime & goat cheese and it was amazing!