I don't know why I always overlook shrimp because they are so incredibly easy to prepare and transform into a super tasty dish! I have to admit, I had no clue where I was going with the recipe so it was a bit of experiment that happened to turn out pretty darn good if I do say so myself!
I failed miserably at meal prepping on Sunday because we bought a puppy (eeee!) so I've had the daunting task of cooking when I get home from work, which makes me appreciate the idea of weekend meal prepping every time it happens. I do have to say this one was very quick to put together and only took about 30 minutes!
Here's what you'll need:
- 24oz bag of frozen (or fresh!) peeled & deveined shrimp
- 4 scallions
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 TBS coconut oil
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- 1 TSP chili powder
- 1/2 TSP cumin
- Dash of salt & pepper
- 1 TSP honey
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
For the coconut rice:
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup coconut milk (I used unsweetened Soy brand. If I had any Soy Cashew milk left I would have used that instead because it's very creamy and 25 calories/cup!)
For the rice: Prepare according to directions on the package. Typically, one cup of uncooked rice will need two cups of water. Use one cup water and one cup milk to prepare. Start the rice first, it will take longer!
- Thaw out your shrimp - you can do this by dumping the bag into a bowl of warm water and allowing them to soak while you prep everything else. Add a bit of salt to the water so they can sit in brine for more flavor.
- Dice the onion, garlic, bell pepper & scallions and add to a large sauté pan with the coconut oil. Cook the veggies through on medium high heat until they're translucent.
- Add in the shrimp & remainder of the ingredients and simmer on low for about 10 minutes.
Serve hot on a bed of rice and enjoy! We loved this paired with baked asparagus ;)