Upside of this dish: it's freaking delicious. Downside? After you cook it your house will smell of curry for days! :) I've gotten into this weird zone lately where i've been really picky about my leftovers. I usually prefer leftovers (cold pizza, WHAT WHAT!!) but suddenly it's as if they don't sound so appetizing to me and have to force them down for the sake of not allowing money to go to waste.
My discovery: anything with sauces usually make great leftovers! Last week's lasagna post makes GREAT leftovers and found that this chicken curry bowl does too. I love the distinct flavors in this dish and the fact that it's not only filling, but super healthy! Don't be alarmed by all of the ingredients. That's pretty typical of curry dishes, but I promise it's a really easy recipe and totally worth it.
Pro tip: when I'm working with a lot of ingredients like this, to avoid the overwhelm I like to get everything set out, measured and prepped so all I need to do is COOK! It alleviates the chaos in the kitchen when you can remember how much of which spice you may or may not have put in there already!
This recipe would make a great side dish and can easily be made into a vegan dish sans chicken. Maybe even throw it into a wrap with some additional veggies and, BOOM, you have yourself a completely different meal. << that's the key to good leftovers right there. Versatility!
If you're down to get a little curry action going for yourself, here's what you're going to need:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- Raw cashews (optional for toppings)
- 1 purple onion, chopped
- 3 boneless chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 head cauliflower (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 6 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- Cook the quinoa according to instructions in two cups of the chicken broth.
- Coat the chicken with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of curry powder and mix well until evenly coated. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, add two teaspoons of olive oil and cook the onions and garlic over medium heat for about two minutes.
- Add cauliflower, peas, salt, pepper and remaining spices.
- Add in remaining two cups chicken broth and chicken. Stir well, incorporating all ingredients.
- Cover and allow to simmer until the cauliflower is cooked (can be pierced by a fork - about 5 minutes.)
- Remove from heat and stir in greek yogurt.
- Stir in remaining ingredients - cashews, cilantro, quinoa.