I love a good lasagna but that leads to two issues for me: gluten and dairy. Andrew and I went over to a friends house a couple of weeks back and "cheated" on some lasagna thinking it was a heavy dinner treat. Halfway through my meal I realized that there was ZERO pasta in the recipe and it was in fact, butternut squash! My gluten free prayers had been answered!!
I knew I had to recreate this recipe for my weekly meal prep and finally had a chance to try it out this last weekend. It's a hit!
Here's what you need to make it happen...
- 1 whole butternut squash (pick one with a long shaft)
- 1 red onion
- 1 zucchini
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella or veggie shreds
- 1 pound hot italian sausage
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cook the sausage with the garlic & diced onions + zucchini until lightly browned.
- Cut off the ends of the squash and chop off the bulbous part of the squash & set aside. This has all of the seeds and goo in it - we'll only be using the long neck for this recipe so save that for something else!
- Using a mandoline, shave off thin slices of the squash. I did not have one at home and carefully used a knife to cut thin(ish) slices. It definitely doesn't turn out the same (I could tell I was eating butternut squash) but it was still yummy.
- Puree the pizza sauce, olive oil, roasted bell peppers & basil altogether and set aside. You can also finely chop up the ingredients and whisk together.
- In an 8x10x3in baking dish spoon a bit of sauce on the bottom to coat so the butternut squash doesn't stick. Layer the squash, followed by sausage mixture & top with sauce - repeat until you can finish with butternut squash on top & one final layer of sauce.
- Pop in the oven for 45 minutes, uncovered. When the timer is up sprinkle cheese over the top and pop back in the oven for a final 15 minutes.